Blogs

Drama ahead of the El Clasico as Barca apologises over deleted post

By Real11 - Oct 26 2023 215 Views
Share


Barca aplogises for deleted Vincius "clown" post

Barcelona have apologised to Real Madrid forward Vinicius Junior after a club director dismissed the racist abuse the Number 7 has suffered and said that he deserves a “slap”. 

Miquel Camps, who is a key member of Barca’s board, posted a comment on X, following Real Madrid’s showboating during Real Madrid’s Champions League victory against Braga on Tuesday. 

Minutes after making the absurd comment, Camps deleted his post on Tuesday, but by then it had grabbed headlines across Spain. 

"It's not racism, he deserves a slap for being a clown and a joker, what do those unnecessary and pointless stepovers in the middle of the pitch mean?" Camps wrote.

Barca’s vice president Rafa Yuste when asked about the tweet during the post match  conference of the Catalan side’s win over Shakhtar Donetsk on Wednesday, said the post was out of order and would not happen again. 

"If Vinícius is listening to me, I want to say that this will not be repeated," Yuste told Movistar. "Even if it was a mistake, it should not have been posted. It was an inappropriate [post]."

Vincius has frequently been targeted with racial slurs and abuses from opposition fans during LaLiga matches, including in Sevilla last weekend. 

The 23 year old provided evidence earlier this month in the trial of three Valencia fans accused of racially abusing him during a fixture in May. 

The comments have sparked a fire ahead of Saturday’s blockbuster clash featuring Barcelona and Real Madrid. This will be the first El Clasico in LaLiga this season.

However Barca coach Xavi Hernandez asks for the tension to be brought down ahead of the fixture. 

If he deleted it, there is no need for me to say anything," he said in a news conference when asked for his thoughts on Camps' comment. "I don't like anything that generates tension, whether it's trying to condition referees or this tweet. We need a Clásico with fair play and with mutual admiration.

"I won't be the person to generate any tension. Asking about these things also creates a bad atmosphere."

As per Spanish reports Madrid president Florentino Perez will spurn the game in Barcelona in protest of the social media post. 

"Yes," Xavi added when asked if the narrative was creating an '"ugly" atmosphere, "and asking me that question as well."

Xavi addressed the press after Barca defeated Shakhtar 2-1 to make it nine points from three games in the Champions League with Ferran Torres and Fermin Lopez finding the back of the net. 

Fermin also hit the woodwork twice and had a goal ruled out (offside) as he put a bold statement for a starting place against Madrid this weekend. 

"He is already an important player," Xavi said of the youngster, who spent last season on loan at third division side Linares.


"They are big words, but I believe he can be a first-team player here for many years. He is ready, he's dynamic, he scores, he shoots from distance. He is having a great season.

"He was spectacular [against Shakhtar], making those late runs into the box when the striker comes deep."

João Félix was taken off the field due to injury concerns in the second half against Shakhtar but said he will be fit to compete against Madrid, although the Catalian side are without the services of Sergi Roberto and Jules Joundè through injury, while Frenkie de Jong, Robert Lewandowski, Pedri and Raphinha are also major uncertainties.  

With 24 points after 10 games, Barca are third in the LaLiga league standings, one behind Madrid, who have the same points as Girona (25) at the top of the table. 

 

- Advertisement -

This game involves an element of financial risk and may be addictive. Please play responsibly at your own risk.
This game is applicable for people 18+ only.