Blogs

Antony dropped from Brazil amid investigation

By Real11 - Sep 5 2023 203 Views
Share


Antony Matheus Dos Santos released from international duty amid investigation

Brazilian forward Antony was dropped from the national squad following new allegations of domestic violence made against the 23 year old. 

The Manchester United player had been named to the squad for CONMEBOL World Cup qualifying games but was discharged from international duty after the CBF cited allegations “which need to be investigated”. 

The Allegations of domestic violence were first made by Antony’s ex-girlfriend in June and more fresh accusations were made public by her on Monday.  United said they know about the decision taken by the Brazil Football Confederation but refused to comment, while Antony denies misdeed of any sort. 

CBF issued a statement which read: “Due to the facts that became public this Monday involving Manchester United player Antony, and which need to be investigated, and in order to safeguard the alleged victim, the player, the Brazilian team and the CBF, the organisation informs that the athlete has been withdrawn from the Brazilian team."

A police complaint in Manchester has been made and all the allegations are under infestation in Brazil. 

On Monday the Greater Manchester Police department issued a statement that read: “Greater Manchester Police is aware of the allegations made and enquiries remain ongoing to establish the circumstances surrounding this report."

Antony responded to the allegations via a social media post in which he insisted the “accusations are false."

He added: “Out of respect for my fans, friends and family, I feel obligated to speak publicly about the false accusations I have been a victim of. From the beginning I have handled this issue seriously and with respect, providing the due clarifications to the police authority.

"The police inquest is under the cover of justice and therefore I cannot make its content public. However, I can say with confidence that the accusations are false and the evidence already produced and more to be produced show that I am innocent of the accusations made."

The lawyer for Antony’s ex-girlfriend, Daniel Bialski, said: “The only thing she wants is that, for everything she went through, he [Antony] be punished. I trust a lot in the investigation of the Civil Police and I wait for him to be prosecuted for the crimes he committed."

Antony was part of the Brazilian squad at the World Cup in Qatar and has scored two goals in sixteen appearances for Brazil. He played the majority of Man Utd’s 3-1 loss to Arsenal on Sunday. 

Arsenal’s number 9 Garbriel Jesus was called up as Antony’s replacement for the two scheduled fixtures.  

- Advertisement -

This game involves an element of financial risk and may be addictive. Please play responsibly at your own risk.
This game is applicable for people 18+ only.